The Sloans Pets Family
Sloans Pets was born out of the sense of joy spending time with a loved Pet creates. As Pet Parents themselves Justine and Rachael want to help others enjoy their Pets at their best everyday.
The foundation of Sloans Pets is the joy of pet ownership mixed with friendly service that really helps make life easier. Things that Justine and Rachael value dearly after 20 years in corporate and executive management roles.
Justine and Rachael purchased "Sloans" from it's retiring owner in 2021, the business had it roots in Saddlery and Leatherwork and had been established in Waipukurau for 50 years. This created the opportunity to make the subtle shift from Saddlery to Pet Care with the Waipukurau Shop...and to enter the digital world and bring a selection of our favourites to Central Hawkes Bay and beyond.
We are here to genuinely help you help your Dog, Cat or Horse be at their best everyday, so you can enjoy them, their company and their wonderful "pet-selves'!
Our Sloans Pets Family is headed by Justine and Rachael with their much loved and cherished four legged friends:
- Sue - the "blonde Beardie" who found Rachael after discovering sheep were extremely terrifying regardless of how big your bark is!
- Nes - the "cute Collie" who found Justine as a puppy intended for a heading dog career but was too timid to manage farm life, electric fences and livestock.
- Heidi - the "bolshie Border Terrier" who came to live with Justine after starting life as show dog and breeding bitch, sweet as pie but rules the Sloans Pets clan her way!
- Zero - the "anxious Abyssinian" who found Justine after a SPCA start to life she loves to cuddle but finds loud sounds and new people still a bit terrifying.
- Buddy - the "spunky Quarter Horse" from Australia who loves his reining work and has an attitude ready to take on the world!
- Kiwi - the "pretty Paint" dressage horse now retired to the paddock and pondering starting a pony breeding programme.
You'll find Sue, Nes and Heidi hanging out at the Waipukurau Shop every day, they happily model dog coats and collars to help with sizing or just generally love saying hello for a pat!
Both Justine and Rachael grew up with a love for horses begging, borrowing and saving their way to pony ownership as pony mad kids. They met while working for Equestrian Sports NZ during the 2000's. Justine travelled with the NZ Equestrian Team to the Athens Olympic Games in 2004 and the World Equestrian Games in 2006 as well as extensively throughout Europe and America in her role as High Performance Manager and then CEO while Rachael as Eventing Sport Manager contributed to the development and delivery of sport in NZ and supporting international campaigns.
They are supported by Hamish, Justine's Husband, who provides veterinary support and advice so they are able to help with prescription dietary needs and can consult on any specific pet care issues you may have.
Hamish will also be helping as we grow our offering to include 'pop-up' health and wellbeing clinics in our Waipukurau Store...more on this later in the year!